This work involves the deployment and operation of specialized closed-circuit video equipment on mobile platforms to conduct inspections of smaller diameter and otherwise inaccessible drainage conduits, including sanitary combined and storm sewers in place throughout the city new and existing systems. Inspections and diagnosis procedures are performed as required by preventative maintenance programs or in response to failures or performance problems due to structural deterioration of the lines, blockages by roots or debris, or misalignment. During the course of inspection procedures, the operator will assess the optimum method of conducting the inspection, direct appropriate pre-inspection flushing and stringing of lead lines, set up and adjust equipment prior to entry into the pipes, monitor and control the progress of the televising unit while in operation and prepare the necessary inspectional reports. During the course of setting up equipment, conducting inspection and removing equipment, the incumbent supervises other subordinate members of the crew assigned to assist. This position is also responsible for the maintenance of inspection equipment to ensure optimum performance.
- Responds to incoming requests for line inspections or in conjunction with preventative maintenance schedules and determines the optimum method of conducting an inspection based upon filed conditions.
- Directs and supervises the activities of Labourers, Equipment Operators, etc., assigned to assist with the inspection operation, including necessary preparation procedures.
- Deploys televising equipment and conducts the inspection by directing the movement of the unit through the sewer system and adjusting the camera to diagnose problems. Takes appropriate video recordings and photographs.
- Maintains televising equipment in good operating condition by adjusting, cleaning, lubricating and performing minor repairs. Ensures that equipment is stored in a safe and proper manner.
- Maintains a supply of replacement parts and supplies required to conduct inspections.
- Enforces established health and safety standards and procedures which are applicable to the work situation.
- Completes all required inspection reports. Completes other administrative documents, including time sheets, disciplinary reports, etc., as required.
- Performs related duties are required.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS
- Knowledge of the standard methods, materials, tools, equipment and procedures utilized to conduct video inspections of larger diameter sewer systems.
- Knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions which are applicable to the work.
- Knowledge of closed circuit televising, video, photographic and related equipment.
- Ability to plan, schedule and assign the work of subordinates, including training and demonstrating applicable methods and procedures and to initiate appropriate disciplinary actions when required.
- Ability to complete applicable reports, records and related administrative tasks.
- Ability to communicate effectively with members of the public, staff and subordinates and others who are involved in the pre and post inspection processes.
- Ability to withstand strenuous physical activity inherent in the work performed, as well as to function effectively outside under a variety of weather conditions.
TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
Completion of Grade 12 or an equivalent combination of training and experience; a minimum of three years of progressive drainage maintenance and/or .construction experience, including some televising equipment experience. Completion of Level 1 Wastewater Collection of the Alberta Environment Certification Program. Possession of a valid Class 5 Alberta Motor Vehicle Operator’s license.
If you think this is a good fit, consider joining the IVIS Construction Inc. family by filling out our application form. As you upload your resume, don’t forget to tell us why you would be a great addition to our team.